From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Meitantei Houmuzu (名探偵ホームズ), or Sherlock Hound in english, is a Japanese TV animation series written by Hayao Miyazaki, co-produced by Tokyo Movie Shinsha Entertainment (TMS) (Japan) and Rever Cinematografica / RAI (Italy), aired between 6 november 1984 and 20 may 1985 on TV Asahi (Japan). 26 episodes of 24 minutes each.
- 01. He's the Famous Detective
- 02. The Evil Genius, Professor Moriarty
- 03. Little Martha's Big Mystery!?
- 04. The Kidnapping Case of Mrs. Hudson
- 05. Blue Ruby
- 06. Solve the Mystery of the Green Balloon!
- 07. The Great Chase of the Little Detectives
- 08. The Speckled Band
- 09. Treasure Under the Sea
- 10. The Air Battle Over Dover!
- 11. The Targeted Giant Coin Bank
- 12. The Professor's Big Failure in the Storm!!
- 13. Missing Freight Car!? The Professor's Big Magic Trick
- 14. Gourmet! The Coral Lobsters
- 15. [[[Look! The Shining Thief]]
- 16. [The Magic Castle! Holmes, Dead or Alive?]]
- 17. The Monster of the Thames River
- 18. Blundered Operation at Loch Ness!
- 19. The Soseki Kite Battle Over London!
- 20. Chase the Airship White Silver!
- 21. Buzz Buzz! The Fly Fly Mecha Operation
- 22. Grand Flight Championship of Chaos!?
- 23. Game of Wits! Parrot vs Professor
- 24. Listen! The Tribute to Moriarty
- 25. Chaos! The Doll Swap Case
- 26. Good-bye Holmes! The Last Case
- Directors : Hayao Miyazaki, Marco Pagot, Kyôsuke Mikuriya
- Screenplay : Hayao Miyazaki, Sunao Katabuchi, Tsunehisa Itô
- Producer : Yoshifumi Kondô (TMS)
- Character Design : Marco Pagot, Gi Pagot, Yoshifumi Kondô, Tsukasa Tannai
- Art Director : Nizô Yamamoto
- Music : Kentaroh Haneda
- Le Avventure di Sherlock Holmes (Italy)
In 1981, Marco Pagot, the creator of the cartoon Caliméro, proposed to the Italian television channel RAI a project for an animated series based on the character of Sherlock Holmes. RAI accepted the project and partnered with the Japanese company Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS) for the realization. The preparatory work was supervised by Hayao Miyazaki, who appropriated Arthur Conan Doyle's characters and transcribes their universe with a surprisingly light tone. He made a humorous series with anthropomorphic dogs for characters (except Sherlock Holmes who is a fox, and Professor Moriarty, a wolf), very far from the Victorian universe.
Hayao Miyazaki will produce only six episodes of the series, but all 26 episodes undoubtedly bear his mark: the offbeat means of transport, including many flying machines, testify to his influence on the series. Production was then interrupted until 1984, when TMS relaunched the design, but with a new director, Kyôsuke Mikuriya, because Miyazaki had left the production company to found his own studio under the Ghibli label.