From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Shanghai Knights is an American movie produced by Touchstone Pictures released on 3 February 2003 (USA). 114 min.
Sherlockian connections in the movie:
- In the hall of Buckingham Palace, Roy looks at a clock where a plaque shows: "Sherlock Watchmakers, Holmes County, Ireland". So he takes the pseudo "Sherlock Holmes" to be officially announced.
- Later on, Roy will disguised with a deerstalker, a MacFarlane and a calabash pipe.
- The inspector of Scotland Yard, "Artie" is in fact "Arthur Conan Doyle". He is not very motivated by his profession and prefers to write novels. He has a talent of observation and deduction. His adventures with O'Bannon and Wang will give him the idea of writing the Sherlock Holmes stories.
- The bad guy is named Lord Nelson Rathbone as a reference to the actor Basil Rathbone, who played Sherlock Holmes in 14 movies between 1939 and 1946.
Chon Wang disguised as Watson
Inspector Artie Doyle
Lord Nelson Rathbone
Jack the Ripper
- Roy O'Bannon / Sherlock Holmes : Owen Wilson
- Chon Wang / Dr. Watson : Jackie Chan
- Inspector Artie Doyle : Tom Fisher
- Jack the Ripper : Oliver Cotton
- Chon Lin : Fann Wong
- Charlie Chaplin : Aaron Johnson
- Lord Nelson Rathbone : Aidan Gillen
- Queen Victoria : Gemma Jones
- Server : John Owens
- Director : David Dobkin
- Producers : Gary Barber, Roger Birnbaum, Jonathan Glickman
- Screenplay : Alfred Gough, Miles Millar
- Music : Randy Edelman