The Superfluous Finger
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
|<< S02E06 The Sensible Action of Lieutenant Holst||S02E08 Anonymous Letters >>|
The Superfluous Finger is the 7th episode in season 2 of the BBC TV series: The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. Aired on 11 march 1973. 50 min.
Professor Van Dusen is a fictional character created by Jacques Futrelle in 1904.
- Douglas Wilmer (Professor Van Dusen) also played Sherlock Holmes in the movie The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother in 1975, and Sherlock Holmes in the TV series Sherlock Holmes in 1964-1965.
- Margaret John (receptionist) also played Mrs. Hudson in the 2 TV movies with Christopher Lee as Sherlock Holmes : Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady (1991) and Incident at Victoria Falls (1992).
Asked to perform an unnecessary amputation, a London surgeon calls on his colleague, Prof. Van Dusen, to learn the reason for the gruesome request. Van Dusen's investigation leads him to a country house; a mad, shotgun-toting aristocrat; and an incident three years earlier.
- Prof. Van Dusen : Douglas Wilmer
- Sir Hector Drummond : William Mervyn
- Miss Rossmore / Mrs. Morey : Veronica Strong
- Prescott : Laurence Payne
- Mallory : Charles Morgan
- Roderick Varley : Mark Eden
- Sterling : Wallas Eaton
- Morey : Dennis Chinnery
- Doctor : Robert Hartley
- Station Sergeant : William Moore
- Receptionist : Margaret John
- Police constable : Michael Guest
- Director : Derek Bennett
- Screenplay : Julian Bond
- Producers : Reginald Collin, Kim Mills
- Music : Robert Sharples