United States of America
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
In the Sherlock Holmes stories
- Elias Openshaw emigrated to United States of America while young and became a planter in Florida. (FIVE, 65)
- Elias Openshaw made a very considerable fortune in the States, and his reason for leaving them was his aversion to the negroes. (FIVE, 69)
- In the brass box of Elias Openshaw were many scattered papers and notebooks about his life in America (FIVE, 130). Some of them were of the Civil war time. (FIVE, 131)Others were of a date during the reconstruction of the Southern States (FIVE, 132).
- The Ku Klux Klan was formed by some ex-Confederate soldiers in the Southern States after the Civil War, and it rapidly formed local branches in different parts of the country, notably in Tennessee, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. (FIVE, 347)
- The Ku Klux Klan flourished, in spite of the efforts of the United States Government, and of the better classes of the community in the South. (FIVE, 353)
- Sherlock Holmes sent 5 orange pips to captain James Calhoun, Lone Star, Savannah, Georgia. (FIVE, 423)
- According to Holmes, the name of the Lone Star was the name which is given to one of the States of the Union (FIVE, 434). The Texas according to Watson (FIVE, 435).